images of my simple world.....

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Do You Have the Time?

"They took away time, and they gave us the clock." ~ Abdullah Ibrahim ~ The Lens Day Challenge for this week is Unique. ~ For over 150 years.. Barnwell's unique.. vertical sundial has given the correct time of day to anyone who happens to glance it's way while passing by... given to Barnwell in 1858.. it is thought to be the only one of its kind remaining in America... Legend has it that this is the only vertical sundial in the United States and though erected two years before standard time was set up.. it keeps within two minutes of that... Captain Joseph D. Allen.. one of Barnwell's wealthy residents... and a lover of monuments.. had the sundial made in Charleston.. and placed in front of the courthouse of Barnwell County... The original courthouse, built in Boiling Springs in 1789, was succeeded by several buildings on the present site. The present courthouse was built in 1878-79.
More than One hundred years later this gleeful young man .. who I personally call William...
was added to the base of the Sundial ...where he spends his time
happily wading barefoot in the stream of
water that flows through the new flower bed...
As people.. Each of us are unique in our own way.. I could have shown photo's of so many people who are one of a kind.. My Parents and siblings would have topped that list and then my own children and a long long list of friends.. I even have a few enemies who might be considered Unique... so in the end I chose not a person but what I consider to be one of the most unique features of our Town.. This small town has changed in many ways over the course of history but the Sun Dial has long been a part of the city's center... I hope you have enjoyed stopping by my blog today.. Have a wonderful Day!
Patsy

3 comments:

  1. I do enjoy stopping here.
    Anyway, this post is asking me whether I have time or not. I'd like to say thank you for your visit to my http://deephotomobile.blogspot.com Now I have time to visit you, hehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise vertical sundials are so rare. There's one above the church door near where I live but it's the only one I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently spotted another vertical sundial above York Minster :-)

    I've been browsing through The Book of Sundials and I'm planning to visit some of the local sundials!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting me today!